Hey everyone =)
I need some advice. I was thinking of buying a dual core CPU for my PC. But whilst browsing the net, I came across this -
HP ProLiant ML115 Server AMD Opteron Dual Core 1214 2.2GHz 512MB RAM 160GB SATA DVDR/RW 4U micro ATX tower (3 year next business day warranty) - 470064-786 - www.microdirect.co.uk
It's a server that has a dual core CPU. It's only £129 & it got some decent specs. I have helped people out with their servers over remote desktop, but I have never owned a server myself & I have never installed a OS onto one.
I am also interested in using VMware ESXi Hypervisor which is only availible on Servers not on deskotps. Will it work on this server? I have used ESXi on my desktop using server emulators, but it didn't work to well.
I know that many home OSs like XP Home probably won't work & I also know that a lot of SW won't work on a server. I want to know the following -
1) Can I dual boot 2 server OSs on it? I was thinking of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise 64bit & Red Hat Server 5.1 64bit.
2) Can I use desktop HW in it? It says it has a 16x PCI Express, a SATA & a DDR2 RAM socket. Can I transfer my desktop HW which uses these sockets over to my server & expect it to work?
3) Will this use standard PC cables like the 3 pin power?
4) Is that server a good buy?
5) The description doesn't specify a CPU type. What CPU socket do most AMD servers use? AM2?
Thanks in advance.... =)